The city’s Committee of Adjustment has approved the minor variances requested by Carriage Gate for their full-block development at John/Caroline/Elizabeth/Maria streets. The project, called Berkeley, was approved in 2010.
The project features a 17-storey residential building, 6-8 storey medical/commercial building and 6-8 storey parking garage, with retail at street level.
The variances were mostly technical in nature, and do not change the height, density or parking for the project. The full list of variances is below. City planning staff supported the variances; a link to their report outlining the rationale is below.
Minor variances may be granted under the following criteria:
- The request is minor in nature.
- The request is needed for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure.
- The general intent and purpose of the Zoning Bylaw is maintained.
- The general intent and purpose of the Official Plan is maintained.
A neighbourhood meeting was held on July 14, 2016 to allow residents to learn more about the minor variances.
The PowerPoint presentation and notes from the July 14 meeting are available below.
Staff report: CofA July 18 2016 Carriage Gate
List of Variances:
- To permit balconies to project 3 m into any yard whereas Part 14, Exception 397 of Zoning By-Law 2020, as amended, permits balconies to project 2 m maximum into any yard for proposed balconies located on floors 16; and
- To permit a receiving area of 42 sq m whereas Part 16 Definition, Height Building, of Zoning By-Law 2020, as amended, permits an elevator and stairway receiving area no larger than 9 sq
- To permit a height of 75 m whereas Part 6, Section 4.2 of Zoning By-Law 2020, as amended, requires a minimum height of 4.5 m for the second storey of a proposed parking garage.
- To permit a height of 3 m whereas Part 6, Section 2 of Zoning By-Law 2020, as amended, requires a minimum height of 4.5 m for the second storey of a proposed apartment building.
- To permit a floor area ratio of 1:1 whereas Part 14, Exception 397 of Zoning By-Law 2020, as amended, permits a maximum floor area ratio of 6.7:1.
- To permit a floor area of 877 sq m whereas Part 14, Exception 397 of Zoning By-Law 2020, as amended, permits a maximum floor area of 855 sq m for floors 4- 15 of a proposed apartment.
- To permit a cornice to project 2.0 m maximum into any yard whereas Part 1, Section 2.13.1 (a) of Zoning By- Law 2020, as amended, permits a maximum projection of 1.0 m into any other yard from the wall of the building.