Ask the Councillor – Oct 2015

marianne meed ward ward 2 Burlington city councillor

Question: I’d like to help Syrian refugees. What is Burlington doing?


There are several things happening in Burlington and surrounding areas to help with Syrian refugees. Halton religious groups are gathering to sponsor several families. More information is here:

Religious groups in Halton join hands to sponsor Syrian refugees | Toronto Star

They have a Twitter  address: @HnHelping You can reach them at for questions about refugee sponsorship and other information. The phone number is (905) 333-3481.

A new group, Maple Refugee Assistance, is comprised of about 20 people, not affiliated with a church or other organization, who all want to help. Together the members will sponsor a Syrian family, provide them with accommodation, household necessities, and food for a year. The group will also help them find translation services, classes in English as a second language, and a friendly welcome in Burlington. The Chair of Maple Refugee Assistance is David Goodings ( Welcome to anyone interested in helping.

There’s an information session Dec. 1, 7pm, Mainway Recreation Centre for Burlington residents looking to get involved. Representatives from the federal and regional governments, Lifeline Syria, and various faith groups, service clubs and residents groups will be in attendance. Contact the mayor’s office who is coordinating this:

Some of the churches are already talking about partnering together. The lead on that is Pastor Colin Cameron <> at Holy Cross Lutheran Church.

Port Nelson United Church has also set up a Syrian refugees committee. Contact:  Mary Carey at 905.637.5831

Question: Can I plan my bus trip by mobile?

Answer: Yes! Through a collaborative effort of GTHA Transit Properties working together under Metrolinx, a new online regional trip planner has launched and is now available as an app both on iPhone and android devices. Information is obtained through each municipalities Open Data feed and will feature real-time schedule information later this year once Burlington and Oakville launch real-time schedules.  This tool was launched in time for the PanAm and ParaPanAm games.

To view, please visit or click on the icon from our webpage

Question: How do I file a traffic or parking complaint?

Answer: Halton Regional Police Service have launched a new online form for residents to report “Traffic Complaints”. The other online reporting form, “Road Watch” is still being used.

There is one main difference between Road Watch and Traffic Complaints. Road Watch is VEHICLE specific.  Example:  same driver running stop sign, speeding.  The police go to the home of the vehicle owner and speak to them directly. Traffic Complaints are LOCATION specific.  Example:  many vehicles running particular stop sign, many vehicles speeding down a specific street.  Police and City staff work together to solve the issue(s).

Below is the direct link to the Traffic Complaint website.
Traffic Complaints

City staff are also following up with HRPS on ‘hot spot’ areas and reporting resulting from this new online form.

Question: When will the upgrades to the Windows to the Lake parks begin?

Answer: After council approved the upgrades to these parks, staff have undertaken topographic surveys refined the designs and have been working on construction drawings for tendering in January when we tend to get the best results. Work should begin after that, when weather permits.

Question: When will work begin on the multi-purpose court in Thorpe Park?

Answer: Staff expect construction to get underway later in October. If the weather cooperates, it is hoped that all of the work will be completed this fall.

Question: When does Loose Leaf Collection begin and what are the rules?


Loose leaf collection begins the week of Oct. 26. Below is a list of guidelines for residents:

  • Leaves should be raked to the curb just before your scheduled collection date and not weeks in advance.
  • Place leaves up to the edge of the curb or road in a loose pile so the city equipment can reach them.
  • Leaves should NOT be placed on the road or sidewalk.
  • Please make sure leaves do not contain branches or other debris.  Leaves mixed with other waste cannot be collected.
  • Do not place garbage bags, garbage bins, Blue Boxes or GreenCarts on top of loose-leaf piles.
  • Remove obstructions from the road to allow room for the city equipment to access the leaves (i.e. basketball nets, parked vehicles).

View the loose leaf collection calendar at:

Written by Marianne Meed Ward

I was inspired to seek public office because I believe, like so many of you, “I can do something about that” on the issues we face. As councilor, my role is to take a stand on what’s best for residents and go to bat for it. Pushback is inevitable from those who don’t have the community’s interests at heart. I will stand with you and for you, to achieve the best interests of our city, without caving to unacceptable compromise in the name of consensus.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Residents share feedback on revised Prospect redevelopment

What’s culture worth? $22 billion & almost 300k jobs