Analysis & Opinion – I will be bringing eight motions to the Jan. 23 Planning and Development committee to ensure balanced development, rather than overintensification downtown.
Read my earlier article with detailed mapping on these motions (first proposed for the Nov. 30 meeting, which is being continued Jan. 23): Changes needed to downtown plan
Residents can attend and speak. Details on how to do that are below.
Summary of Motions:
Defer approval of Official Plan till after the 2018 Municipal Election
Direct staff to discuss with the Region and province the possibility of removing the mobility hub classification for the downtown, and shifting
the Urban Growth Centre from downtown to the Burlington GO station.
Direct staff to work with the Region of Halton to review the Downtown Urban Growth Centre boundaries, and consider restoring original boundaries with the exception of Spencer Smith Park.
• 4A) Retain the current height restriction of 4 storeys (with permission to go to 8 storeys with community benefits) for the Downtown Core Precinct
• 4B) Include a range of heights in the precinct, to help secure community benefits during redevelopment
• 4C) Include policies to allow additional density in developments
that preserve heritage buildings, as a factor of square footage preserved.
• 5A) Height restriction of 3 storeys along Brant Street with permission togo to 11 storeys along John Street frontage only with the provision of
• 5B) Remove special policy area at the South East corner Brant/James. (Special policy area would allow up to 17 storeys)
Motion 6: Mid-Rise Residential Precinct:
• 6A) Add the north west corner of Burlington Avenue and Lakeshore
Road to the special planning area (6 storeys) to match the north east
• 6B) Reduce height both sides to 3 storeys.
Motion 7: Cannery Precinct:
Reduce the cannery district at the north east corner of Lakeshore
Road and Brant Street to 15 storeys. (Currently proposed at 22)
Motion 8: Upper Brant Precinct:
• 8A) Remove East side of Brant from Blairholm to Prospect
• 8B) Remove West side of Brant from Blairholm to Olga
Have Your Say
You can register as a delegation by noon Jan. 22 to speak at the Jan. 23 Planning & Development committee. Note which session, 1 or 6:30, you wish to speak at.
Additional days are scheduled Wed. Jan. 24, and Thurs. Jan. 25 at 1 and 6:30pm if we are not finished with questions of staff and motions. All meetings are open to the public to attend, and are live webcast and archived on the city website with the agenda and meetings for the meeting. (Search for the meeting date on the city calendar to see agenda, minutes and webcast).