Knights of Columbus District 67-Flag Relay
Date: Monday, March 7, 2016
Time: 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Location: Burlington City Hall, 426 Brant Street
As part of Special Olympics Week, a piper led march, including Special Olympians and Burlington Knights of Columbus Colour Guard, will take place from St. Philippe’s Church, 472 Locust Street along the sidewalk to City Hall.
Following the march, the Knights of Columbus and Mayor Rick Goldring will raise a flag at Civic Square in honour of Special Olympics Week March 7-13. A cheque presentation to the Special Olympics will also take place.
Anyone can offer financial support to the Special Olympics by visiting www.kofcflagrelay.com or by purchasing raffle tickets from the Knights during events on Special Olympics Week in Burlington. Funds raised will support Special Olympics.
Earth Hour in Burlington 2016
Date: March 19, 2016
Time: 8:30 p.m.-9:30pm
Location: Your home or building
Turn off your lights and electronics and participate in the worldwide event that is Earth Hour. #ChangeClimateChange and make a difference in your community.
Earth Hour began in Sydney, Australia in 2007 with over two million residents symbolically turning their lights off for one hour in support of climate change awareness. The following year, 35 countries participated in the event and in 2015 this grew to 172 countries. Many countries have been inspired by Earth Hour to carry out longer term initiatives including legislative changes.
What is the City of Burlington doing during Earth Hour? Where possible, we will turn off, unplug or reduce the use of the following:
• Lighting where facilities are not operational (some lights are required to be left on for safety and fire code reasons)
• Arena refrigeration plants (compressors, condensers, brine pumps, etc.)
• Exhaust fans/air handlers and heaters in viewing stands Please note that streetlights and traffic control signals will continue to operate as normal. What is the City of Burlington doing year round?
• Implementing the corporate and community energy plans with annual reports to council
• Publically reporting annual energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions
• Engaging staff in taking ownership of energy use and developing a culture of conservation
• Raising awareness about our programs and initiatives through our environment webpage and Take Action Burlington blog.
Art Gallery of Burlington Exclusive Art Showcase
Date: Monday, March 21, 2016
Time: 4:00-9:00 p.m.
Location: The Ruby, 4100 Upper Middle Road, 10th Floor
Cost: Free Admission
A memorable event with fine art, wine tasting, and entertainment presented by the Art Gallery of Burlington and The Village of Tansley Woods.
Frauds and Scams Information Session: Empowering Seniors series
Date: Thursday, March 24, 2016
Time: (Registration starts at 12:30) 1:00-2:30 p.m.
Location: Burlington Central Library, Centennial Hall, 2331 New Street
Speaker: Halton Regional Police Service, Police Constable Nadine Clarke.
Come and learn strategies on how to protect yourself, and tips on what you should know about frauds.