Bylaw enforcement extends weekend service

city hallAs part of a  staff direction I brought to council to enhance by-law enforcement service in Burlington, an external answering service has now been retained to take customer inquiries and or requests for service on weekends and after hours. This is the first phase of by-law service enhancement where residents connect to an individual, rather than automated service.

How it will work:

When a call comes into the Building Division by-law enforcement section after hours, at 905-335-7731,  the caller will be connected with a “live” person to take their request for service.

All calls will be referred to the building division mailbox where a customer service representative will create a building enforcement call for service file the next business day. This will ensure requests are processed quickly and assigned to a by-law enforcement officer for investigation.

This service enhancement began April 4. The call service runs 4:30 pm until 8:30 am, Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Non-urgent calls for service can be filed online at:

Second Phase:

The desired second phase of the by-law enhancement service will be to have an enforcement officer on “standby” to respond to urgent or emergency calls only. Further details on the transition to the second phase will follow shortly.


Written by Marianne Meed Ward

I was inspired to seek public office because I believe, like so many of you, “I can do something about that” on the issues we face. As councilor, my role is to take a stand on what’s best for residents and go to bat for it. Pushback is inevitable from those who don’t have the community’s interests at heart. I will stand with you and for you, to achieve the best interests of our city, without caving to unacceptable compromise in the name of consensus.


Leave a Reply
  1. Seems each year we have a number of less than reputable businesses that come in Friday nights and plaster city boulevards with ad signs they know they are safe till monday. What can be done? Hoping when city collects signs they are destroyed (ylaw tells me this is totally illegal what companies do). I realize citizens cant take them done. Can we get bylaw officers to collect on a Saturday am? Can these companies be fined? Can we get the post to do a story to hurt their business. Some are out of town with 416 area code others 1-866. It makes a mess of neighbourhoods as they are at every intersection up north where I am every weekend all summer. They started this weekend already.
    What can i do I do report it to bylaw officve vis email on weekends.

What's your take?

Provide input on Halton public school board long term accommodation plan by April 27

Nominees announced for Burlington’s Best Awards May 11