City parking lots on Brant and Elizabeth will be fully or partly closed this fall while construction of the second and third legs of the Elgin Promenade are underway. The promenade is an enhanced east/west pedestrian walkway through the downtown from Martha to Brant Street. The first leg was constructed through the Pearl Street Lot (Lot #1) earlier this year.
Construction will begin the week of Sept. 5. Parking lot #5, located on Brant Street and the northwest section only of parking lot #4 on Elizabeth Street, will be closed starting Sept. 5, 2017 until winter 2017.Work will include:
- resurfacing and widening of the multi-use pathway
- resurfacing of the parking areas
- replacement of the bus shelters on both sides of John St.
- new urban trees and plantings
- new benches, lighting, and a bike shelter
- a 300m2 public space beside Brant Street that will provide additional areas for seating, entertainment and the installment of public art.
Timing of the project has been accelerated due to Canada 150 and Public Transit Infrastructure Fund grants, which require completion of the project by March 2018. Additional details of this project are available here: Elgin Promenade
Alternate parking areas available during the closure are located at the Waterfront Garage at 414 Locust St. and parking lot #3 located on John Street, as well as on-street stalls. See: downtown municipal parking map.