Volunteer Days at Freeman Station
Saturdays August 8th 15th & 22nd from 8 am to 2pm
1285 Fairview Street (use driveway on east side of the Burlington Fire Department Headquarters)
Friends of Freeman station is looking for volunteers to assist on Saturdays in the month of August. Some of the activities they need help with are:
- Paint scraping and sanding
- Old wood floor boards restoration
- Site cleanup
- Rubbish and scrub removal
- and the list goes on
No special skills are required. Volunteers are asked to wear sturdy shoes and bring work gloves and a hat. Dress for the weather; it could be hot!
As Freeman Station is a construction site, children under 14 and pets are not permitted.
What’s New and Exciting:
It has been a very busy winter and spring. Interior restoration went on throughout the winter months and both interior and exterior work resumed this spring. The Burlington Public Art Council has selected the Freeman Station for a mural that will be installed on the east end of the building facing Fairview Street. It will depict a scene from the station, circa 1906. Friends of Freeman Station are extremely honoured to have been chosen and are looking forward to a late fall unveiling.
Highlights of accomplishments to date:
- the station now has new shingles; the roof and the entire roof deck have been repaired as well as the soffit and fascia.
- electrical service has finally reached the station and wiring is currently being installed.
- roughed in plumbing has been installed and the main floor accessible washroom has been framed.
- new entrance doors have been installed at both the north and south sides of the waiting room.
Friends of Freeman Station has raised about $250,000 dollars to date and will need about the same to complete the project. Over 1700 volunteer hours have been donated to the actual restoration. More than 2400 hours of administrative, planning, and fundraising have also been donated by their members.
Friends of Freeman Station are also looking for volunteers in the following areas:
- Artifact recording
- Audio Visual and Interactive display planning
- Copywriting and Advertising
- General Help with both administration and on site
Contact Friends of Freeman Station:
Mail: Friends of Freeman Station, P.O. Box 91536 Roseland Plaza, 3025 New Street, L7R 4L6
Annual Memberships are $10.00 and a Life Time Membership is $100.00.
Put your name, a relative, a friend’s on one of the many items available for sponsorship. Sponsor a Whinstone (What is a Whinstone? Drop by and you can touch one and find out where they came from). Sponsorships start at $100.00 and you can go right on up to $15,000 for the waiting room. Please contact me for sponsorship opportunities. [email protected]
All donations over $25.00 will receive a charitable tax receipt.